Tuesday 28 February 2017

Weekend Gone

Kasey Rose's Corner

As I reflect on my "weekend gone", listening and devoting 3/4s of it to Remy Ma spinning and dicing her bars against Nicki Minaj, I am reminded of my youth. A time past when I became interested in rap and Hip Hop through the influence of my brothers.

I had been "cultured" in the teachings of Malcolm X, remembering "We didn't land on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock landed on us". Theses verses were spewing out of my older brothers room. The virtues learnt guided me throughout my teenage years and early adulthood. A female who had been empowered to be educated and to my own self, my own being, my true self....

I listened to tracks of Naughty by Nature, Salt n Peppa, Tupac who were my favourites. Tupac for me was the top dog with classics such as Dear Mama, Keep Ya Head Up and Until the end of time... The list can keep running. At the time I leisurely listened yet today memories flash reminding me how "cool" I once was.

I heard of Remy Ma way back but gave little attention to her spins as I found the female rap game weak at the time. I mean Lil Kim, Foxy and Queen Latifah were around... My bad, no disrespect.... I never really paid attention to Remy Ma "spitting" even though I heard she was a boss type. This past weekend had me now standing and listening. Not because it became popular but due to her skills. She clearly can spit it out lyrically and cause damage.... Not the best, I am bias to Tupac, sorry just my shade of gray.... She came to slay and slam and that she did,

No comments:

Post a Comment